Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Self esteem

Esteem - Respect and admire;  Admire - to look at with pleasure:  Using these two definitions, if we have self-esteem, we are to respect and look at ourselves with pleasure.  I realize that every person needs or ought to feel confident in their selves.  I am for encouraging each person, whether child or adult.  But, to what extent.  I know those that coach activities where no-one loses.  Everyone gets a trophy.  Schools that does not give failing grades, etc.

Is this really a good idea.  Let's teach that you don't really have to run the race well to be entitled to the prize!  Let's teach that you don't really have to work hard to succeed!  Let's teach that you deserve the best, even if you don't work for it!  This breeds a generation that wants a paycheck but doesn't want to have to earn it.

When I was growing up, my dad always encouraged me to do my best.  He never said I had to win, just do my best.  My dad impressed on me that not all are winners, but all are players.  I liked to play baseball, wasn't the best player on the team, but I gave it my best.  I wasn't on the all stars, but I gave it my best.  Dad said that it isn't whether you win or lose, its how you play the game. (Of course it feels better when you win).  Even if I lost, I could hold my head high, because I did my best!  That is self esteem!

I remember that he told me that when I hired out to another, I owed that person or company the best I had for the time I was at work.  In other words if I was on the job for eight hours, I owe it to my employers eight hours of my best work.  If I did not give them eight hours of my best, I was stealing from them.  If I could not give them my best then I should leave.  If I don't give my best, they had the right to let me go.  They don't owe me anything except my earned wages.

Self-esteem is important.  We are important to God, the Bible tells us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.  We are made in the image of God.  What a wonderful thought.  But, I agree with another author, . A healthy self-esteem needs to be realistic, thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to think is just as self-defeating as a low self-esteem.  It can cause us to ignore our need of God. Those with a healthy and realistic self-esteem are those that believe they can do anything God ahas enabled them to do.
                                                         - Martin R Dehaan II -

For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith ith virtue and knowledge.  2 Peter 1:5.  Know our limits and do them to the Glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment